Writing for us, you can change lives, reach a global audience, achieve your professional dreams, work with top-notch editors, and set your own schedule!
Organic Wellness is our beat. We like healthy recipes; personal essays about major transformations; advice pieces with actionable tips to improve health, happiness, relationships, parenting, communication, beauty routines, and nutrition; pieces with specific yoga sequences or fitness routines.
If it’s not about healthy living, it’s probably not for us.
- Beauty: Show how to make, apply, or shop for natural, nontoxic beauty products. Assume your reader is familiar with green beauty products but new to detailed application or creation.
- Recipes: Start with a short paragraph about how you serve the dish or why it’s one of your faves. In the recipe, please include serving size, ingredients (with measurements), clear prep directions, and a photo .
- Yoga/workout/fitness: Provide specific instruction on how to complete the activity. Assume your reader is fit but new to this particular exercise. Include photos or a three-minute video illustrating the activity.
- Personal essays: Keep the spotlight on one time in your life; include a perspective shift (let us see that transformation); let us into your thought process (what were your motivations?); and be personal — the more honest and vulnerable you can be about your struggles and victories, the more readers will be inspired by and empathetic to your story!
Tone is everything! Your tone should be inclusive, accessible, inspiring, informative, educational, and generally positive. Help our readers grow and feel inspired! Look at what we’ve previously posted. We don’t do snarky or sarcastic.
SOME DO’S AND DON’TS
- Be original: Posts must be unique and original to Glami5. Posts must not have been published or submitted elsewhere online (including your personal blog) or be slated for distribution on other sites.
- Add to the conversation: We feature a wide range of topics and have a large library of great content. How can your piece add to what’s already there?
- Source all health claims: If you mention a statistic or a study in your piece, include a link to that source. If you claim a certain food is healthy, tell us how you know. We prefer links to peer-reviewed scientific papers, academic journals, and/or credible news outlets. Put relevant links in brackets: [http://facebook.com/glami5].
- Include photos:
- Come up with a great title that grabs readers’ attention and makes them want to read your piece: Ask yourself what problem does my article solve? How will reading this make someone’s life better?
- Write a tight opening: Does the first sentence make the reader want to continue? Does your first paragraph tell the reader clearly and succinctly what the article will be about?
- Provide tips readers can implement easily. Here’s an example: Inhale, count to 10, then exhale as you count to 10 again. Here’s a murkier tip: Let go. (See the difference?)
- Write in your own voice: How would you explain your idea to a good friend? Use that conversational tone when you write.
- Send SEO-driven submissions: We can’t use posts from content farms or created to boost SEO or to plug a product or brand name. We are unable to accept submissions or bio references that promote a business or service not in line with our philosophy (e.g., a weight-loss gimmick).
- Hyperlink: Please don’t hyperlink. Put relevant links in brackets: [http://facebook.com/glami5].
To submit, email us at [email protected]:
- Your full post with a working title. Send this within the body of an email.
- Any relevant images for your post. (Send as separate files, not pasted within a doc.) Send only images that you own.
- Your bio (120 words or less) with links to your website, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter pages, in brackets: [http://facebook.com/glami5].
- A headshot or photo of you to use for your bio.
THE SMALL-PRINT STUFF:
- Submit only one post at a time: We read every submission we receive but we are a small staff and can’t respond to every submission.
- By submitting to Glami5 you acknowledge that you accept our terms and any form of editing the Glami5 editorial team deems necessary.
- Photos: All contributors are encouraged to submit photos with their posts. These should be at least 850 pixels wide by 400 pixels tall (bigger in either direction, or both, is fine).
- What we look for in yoga, workout, or fitness posts: While a photo submission with these posts is not necessary, it is highly encouraged. The photo (or photos) should be original, of you or a model completing the pose, sequence, or routine you’re writing about, and the image should be high-quality. Each photo should be labeled with the move it’s demonstrating. If you have a short video (no longer than 3 minutes) illustrating the activity, we are happy to include that in the post too.
- What we look for in recipes: When submitting a recipe, be sure to include an original, high-quality photo of your prepared dish.
- Food photo guidelines: In an effort to keep our photos consistent in style, keep in mind the following when submitting:
- Photos work best on our website in landscape format.
- We prefer photos taken in natural daylight.
- Neutral tableware and backgrounds work best.
- Photos should be taken on a clean, natural surface such as white marble; white, light gray, or natural wood; or just a clean white surface. Linen and slate are also nice.
- We are looking for the food photos to exude the beauty of good, real, whole foods — the food should be the star with minimal, simple props, when necessary, to enhance the image. (For example, a slice of lemon or herbs on the side could work nicely if the recipe calls for it, or an appropriately placed spoon, etc.)
- Close-up shots are often not as nice as giving the dish a little space to breathe and come alive.
- See these examples of the type of style we are looking for. Thanks!